Twenty month-old Hal has started talking more and more. He’s so much fun to listen to! Here are a few of his more common expressions.
Part 1: Standard English words
He utilizes several obvious words that need no interpretation, such as:
-Uh-Oh
-Me (in answer to such questions as: Who wants ice cream?)
-Not me (in answer to such questions as: Who wants more cabbage?)
-Too tight (Referring to recently put on shoes or other clothing—he says this almost every time you put his shoes on him)
-Ouchie
-Mine!
-No!
-and my favorite, Peee-ew! (said with a high pitched voice during the changing of particularly stinky diapers or taking off his sweaty sandals)
Part 2: One-word sentences
These sentences vary in meaning depending on his intonation, which reminds me of Chinese inflections, which can change a meaning of a word just by varying its pitch or volume. Hal has two basic ways of asking for things, which can be said with the same word in two different intonations.
A few examples:
-Intonation 1:
Hal: Eeeeee? (said in a very small, quiet, almost apologetic manner)
Translation: Father, my Lord, may I please swing and would you be so kind as to place me in the swing?
Hal: Ashee? (said in the same tone as Eeeeee?)
Translation: Dear sweet father, I noticed the trash is full and is ready to be taken out; may I please, with your assistance, take out the trash?
-Intonation 2:
Hal: Eeeeee!!
Translation: I want to swing, and you will put me in the swing immediately, you sorry old man, or you will suffer endlessly!
Hal: Ashee!!
Translation: I want to take out the trash, and you will help me take out the trash immediately, you sorry old man, or you will suffer endlessly!
Other one-word sentences:
-Boo-dee…: “I want…” (always with intonation 2)
-Tsssssss.: “I just urinated on the floor over there.” (at least he tells us about his accidents!)
-Bathee!: “I want to take a bath!” (can be spoken with either intonation)
-Doe-rah! Doe-rah!: “I want a popsicle!” (or fudgsicle, or otter-pop)
Part 3: What did he say?
He has a few words that require some practice to distinguish from one another:
-Nuessee: Nursery (as in the place he goes during Sunday School and Priesthood)
-Nuessee: Nurse, (as in, “It’s time for my nap and even though I'm weaned I want to nurse, mother!”)
-Doo-ussee: Thirsty
-Doossee: Juice
-Caow: Car
-Caow: Cow
-Oo-ush: Push (as in, “Push the swing, you useless man.”)
-Oo-esh: Shoe
Part 4: One word, multiple meanings:
-Dad-dee!:
1. Daddy—so glad to see you!
2. The phone is ringing!
3. The garage door is opening!
4. Someone is at the front door!
5. Good morning mommy—where’s Daddy?!
6. Mommy, I don’t want to do (insert tedious task) right now!
-Mah-mee!:
1. Mommy—so glad to see you!
2. Daddy, I don’t want to do (insert tedious task) right now!
3. I’m tired!
4. I’m hungry!
5. Good morning Daddy, where’s Mommy?!
Part 5: Other words:
-Bam-pa: Grandpa C
-Maah-mah: Grandma C
-Maah-men: Lucy
-Ee-see: EJ
-Bah: Granola bar
-Ah-tur: Water
-Pooooh: Swimming pool
-Haw-see: Horse
-Pooh-bee: Messy diaper
-Teet-tot: Teeter-totter swing
-Tit-tot: Clock
H-J
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Hal's Glossary of Useful Phrases
Posted by
Laura Dee
at
9:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment