Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mummies in the Backyard

I contributed to my kids' efforts to create mummies today: When Prince Hal came to the kitchen from the backyard with orders from Lucy to wet a piece of paper for her, I sent them out instead with tissue strips and a water spray bottle. So, you may ask, "Who is going to experience mummification and where will the mummies go?"

Lucy has been personally studying all things Egypt for months now (see her paper pyramid). She was grateful to receive her own Egypt and archaeology books for Christmas.

All of the kids really enjoy a series of books we have discovered, read by the author on accompanying CDs, one of which is SkippyJon Jones in Mummy Trouble (check out this intro video). SkippyJon is a cat who thinks (or dreams) he is a chihuahua.

All of this influence has swirled and whirled in my kids' imaginations this past week. They have been constructing pyramids in the backyard. Yesterday, they excitedly caught crickets. Today, (I assume the crickets are dead), mummification will begin.

Should I fear for neighborhood pets? I'd better get off the computer and go check on them.

2 comments: