Sunday, January 25, 2009

January Harvest

While many people we love are experiencing cold and snow, we have been enjoying our reward for having endured the hellish summer heat of the Valley of the Sun: a beautiful fall and spring. Here we have two summers, fall, and then we go right into spring. Just ask the fruitless pears in our neighbors yard that haven't finished dropping their fall leaves but have some new leaves and blossoms already.

We have been harvesting broccoli, lemons, and oranges (actually Tangelos--our Valencias are not quite ready) from our backyard, our best family harvest to date. I still have no luck with tomatoes though I have attempted to plant them four times, once in Washington and thrice here. I am hoping I can cut down and fertilize what's left of our six cold-damaged plants next month (just after Valentine's Day, I hear) to get them to regrow and produce. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. The look on Hal's face is classic. Good luck with your garden! I saw some grass the other day; it was a bit uncanny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grass, Frau Schwester? No fair.

    I must agree that Hal's look is a winner. And EJ and Lucy are looking so grown-up I can't get over it yet.

    I can't even fathom trying to grow tomatoes at this time of year. I have to keep my house plant in my bedroom this time of year to keep it from freezing in the bay window downstairs where it usually resides.

    ReplyDelete